- Interview with Dr Adrian Bowyer, the creator of the RepRap 3D Printer
- The Mathematics of 3D Printing
- 11 Reasons why Schools need 3D Printers
- 3D Printing a 3D Printer
- How to change the battery on an IP54 digital caliper
- Off Topic – not 3D Printing Related
Bloke makes Virtual 3D Printer inside the game Minecraft
Here is the Vid:
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
While it is buffering up, here is my review.
Shrogg2 has done an enormous amount of work (and yes, it would have taken hours and hours!) to create a 3D Printer inside the sandbox indie game, Minecraft.
Here is my review:
Review of Shrogg2’s Virtual 3D Printer
The resolution is a paltry 1 meter (Minecraft blocks are 1m by 1m) – modern printers are getting 30 microns, so obviously Shrogg2 has a bit of work to go there. 0 out of 5 for this.
Also it looked to only print in 2 colours – white and greeny/bluey. Well, modern printers can print in all colours of the rainbow. Of course, most commercial printers are single color. So I guess we can let Shrogg2 pass. 2 out of 5
The build size is an impressive 8 meter by 8 meter by 12 meter. Even bigger than this beast we have reviewed a few weeks ago. 5 out of 5.
Build speed is impressive at about a meter every few seconds – this blows every commercial printer out of the water. Of course having a resolution of 1 meter makes this easily achievable BUT we are only rating build speed here. 5 out of 5.
There is wastage of material – the filler material needs to be cleaned from the model by burning it. This is normal in the industry: 3 out of 5.
Finally getting the finished model into you hand, I don’t think Shrogg2 has thought of much. After all, it will be a tough call to get it out of the game and onto your desk. A fundamental failing here: 0 out of 5.
The final result
So adding that all up we get: 15 out of 30 – a 50% – a pass!
The actual file for import is here, but there are a few difficulties that punters have experienced. Perhaps give it a few days for an update to the importer to occur.
Well done Shrogg2!
PS This is satire for those about to freak out. Shrogg2 has achieved something completely awesome here.
- Company creates software that they say stops the 3D printing of Guns
- U.S. Copyright Czar Applauds Six-Strikes, Warns Over 3D Printing Piracy
- Is the 3D Printed gun any good?
- 3D Printed gun taken down by US Authorities
- 3D Printed Guns
- Interview with the 3d Printing fractal artist unellenu
- New tool gives structural strength to 3D printed works
- Adelaide man launches unique 3D Printed Jewellery Kickstarter
Follow on Twitter
3D Printing sitesRepRap 3D Printer Component Suppliers
RepRapPro - the site of the RepRap creater
Full Service Printing Bureaus
3D Print (UK)
3D Printing Directories
Explaining the Future
About 3D Printers