- Interview with Dr Adrian Bowyer, the creator of the RepRap 3D Printer
- The Mathematics of 3D Printing
- 11 Reasons why Schools need 3D Printers
- 3D Printing a 3D Printer
- How to change the battery on an IP54 digital caliper
- Off Topic – not 3D Printing Related
Bloke makes Virtual 3D Printer inside the game Minecraft
Here is the Vid:
While it is buffering up, here is my review.
Shrogg2 has done an enormous amount of work (and yes, it would have taken hours and hours!) to create a 3D Printer inside the sandbox indie game, Minecraft.
Here is my review:
Review of Shrogg2’s Virtual 3D Printer
The resolution is a paltry 1 meter (Minecraft blocks are 1m by 1m) – modern printers are getting 30 microns, so obviously Shrogg2 has a bit of work to go there. 0 out of 5 for this.
Also it looked to only print in 2 colours – white and greeny/bluey. Well, modern printers can print in all colours of the rainbow. Of course, most commercial printers are single color. So I guess we can let Shrogg2 pass. 2 out of 5
The build size is an impressive 8 meter by 8 meter by 12 meter. Even bigger than this beast we have reviewed a few weeks ago. 5 out of 5.
Build speed is impressive at about a meter every few seconds – this blows every commercial printer out of the water. Of course having a resolution of 1 meter makes this easily achievable BUT we are only rating build speed here. 5 out of 5.
There is wastage of material – the filler material needs to be cleaned from the model by burning it. This is normal in the industry: 3 out of 5.
Finally getting the finished model into you hand, I don’t think Shrogg2 has thought of much. After all, it will be a tough call to get it out of the game and onto your desk. A fundamental failing here: 0 out of 5.
The final result
So adding that all up we get: 15 out of 30 – a 50% – a pass!
The actual file for import is here, but there are a few difficulties that punters have experienced. Perhaps give it a few days for an update to the importer to occur.
Well done Shrogg2!
PS This is satire for those about to freak out. Shrogg2 has achieved something completely awesome here.
- Company creates software that they say stops the 3D printing of Guns
- U.S. Copyright Czar Applauds Six-Strikes, Warns Over 3D Printing Piracy
- Is the 3D Printed gun any good?
- 3D Printed gun taken down by US Authorities
- 3D Printed Guns
- Interview with the 3d Printing fractal artist unellenu
- New tool gives structural strength to 3D printed works
- Adelaide man launches unique 3D Printed Jewellery Kickstarter
Follow on Twitter
3D Printing sitesRepRap 3D Printer Component Suppliers
RepRapPro - the site of the RepRap creater
Full Service Printing Bureaus
3D Print (UK)
3D Printing Directories
Explaining the Future
About 3D Printers